The Education Program Extension for MediaWiki supports Wikimedia Education Programs around the world. It was developed by the Wikimedia Foundation in 2011. It was first deployed to English Wikipedia in 2012.
Since then, this extension has been installed on 18 Wikimedia projects: on 5 sister projects in 16 languages. Additionally, 6 new projects in 5 new languages are planning to install it, and 2 new projects in 1 new language are considering installing it.
There is increasing interest among communities to use this tool because of its many benefits. The Education Program Extension has a demonstrable and measurable the impact on the Wikimedia projects and the free knowledge movement. This page documents those impacts.
Data table edit
|Project||Language||Code||Institutions||Courses||Students||Instructors||Coordinators||Online Volunteers||Campus Volunteers||Administrators||Citations & Notes|
|Wikipedia||Greek||EL||4||8||374||0||1||0||0||5||[note 3][note 4]|
Data summary edit
As of 15 October 2015, this extension supports nearly 20,000 students, nearly 400 educators, and more than 230 Wikimedians throughout the movement. Their work is overseen by nearly 40 project administrators. This extension supports power users and new users alike, and it has done so for almost half a decade.
Wikimedia projects: 5
Online volunteers: 177
Campus volunteers: 238
Administrators: 40[note 7]
Community feedback edit
|“||More than a million bytes are added each year by users enrolled through this extension: students, senior citizens, and edit-a-thon participants.||”|
|“||Thousands of pupils/students have worked on Wikipedia as part of their subjects/courses, in several education institutions (mostly secondary and university level), with dozens of teachers/professors/TAs involved in planning and execution. We have had troubles with measuring impact and we decided to use this extension to help us with that, but also to help us with relations with the community, since this would be easier for them as well.||”|
|“||Revamping/replacing the education extension needs to be a priority. We average about 5 million bytes of information per semester (3 semesters per year) added primarily to Spanish Wikipedia. However, we have done work in other language Wikipedias and add between 500 and 2000 media files to Wikimedia Commons each year. We have had 4 campuses of a 32-campus system covering most of Mexico. The growth potential for Wiki Learning is amazing. Right now, we can do the bare-minimum of documentation, but much of it is manual. We need to monitor more and better monitor, analyzing not only bytes added and edits made, but what kind of work was done, articles created, articles translated, articles expanded and articles corrected. Sorting out photos from videos from sound files would be nice too.||”|
- 25% (2 out of 8) of education program coordinators are also administrators on Arabic Wikipedia.
- 44% (4 out of 9) of education program coordinators are also administrators on Czech Wikipedia.
- 71% (5 out of 7) of education program coordinators are also administrators on Greek Wikipedia.
- Greek Wikipedia does have instructors; however, they are not being given this user group right.
- Latvian Wikipedia does have instructors; however, they are not being given this user group right.
- 33% (1 out of 3) of education program coordinators are also administrators on Serbian Wikipedia.
- 73% (14 out of 19) projects have administrators supporting education programs on wiki; only 6 projects do not.
- Arabic Wikipedia User group rights
- Catalan Wikipedia User group rights
- Czech Wikipedia User group rights
- Dutch Wikipedia User group rights
- English Wikipedia User group rights
- Greek Wikipedia User group rights
- Hebrew Wikipedia User group rights
- LatvianWikipedia User group rights
- Persian Wikipedia User group rights
- Portuguese Wikipedia User group rights
- Russian Wikipedia User group rights
- Serbian Wikipedia User group rights
- Spanish Wikipedia User group rights
- Swedish Wikipedia User group rights
- Ukrainian Wikipedia User group rights
- German Wikiversity User group rights
- English Wikinews User group rights
- French Wikisource User group rights
- Hebrew Wiktionary User group rights