GLAM/Newsletter/December 2021/Contents/UK report
2021 in Review
This has been a very productive year for the Khalili Collections partnership, creating more wiki content and reaching an even larger audience than the previous year.
- Views on uploaded images: 33.7 million. This number excludes views for images that were included on the English Wikipedia front page in the Did You Know? section. These added 15.5 million further views.
- Khalili Collections images are now used in 71 Wikimedia sites, up from 50 last year (data from BaGLAMa2)
- Views of articles about the Collections, including the Nasser Khalili article: 62,492 in English; 23,803 in other languages (mainly Persian) (data from Pageviews and Langviews)
- Views on other articles created by this project: 41,628 (data from Pageviews)
- Images uploaded: 1,163 (including some higher-resolution versions of previously-uploaded images)
- Images added to a total 901 Commons categories (the tool that counts these was something I programmed this year)
- New articles created: 16 (6 in English, 5 in Persian, 3 in Arabic, 1 in French, 1 in Italian). The total number of articles created as a result of this project has reached 32 (17 in English, 7 in Persian, 3 in Arabic, 2 in French, 1 in Italian, 1 in Malay, 1 in Vietnamese).
- Articles passing Good Article review: 3 (Khalili Collection of Enamels of the World, Khalili Collection of Aramaic Documents, Khalili Collection of Hajj and the Arts of Pilgrimage)
- Articles passing Did You Know review: 7
- Featured image awards: 3 on Persian Wikipedia, 2 on Arabic Wikipedia, 2 on Wikimedia Commons, 1 on English Wikipedia
- Items added to Wikidata: 748. Statements added to Wikidata: 6,530.
- Total non-English labels added by the community: 88 in 23 languages
In the coming year, the project will focus on adding much more detail about the Khalili Collection of Islamic Art, more articles relating to the Hajj, and other content relating to the collections of Japanese Art and of the Enamels of the World. There will be new articles about Japanese Meiji era textiles and about bibliomancy in Islam.
During December 2021, I added images to various articles such as Ihram, Kufic, and Prophetic Medicine and worked on Wikidata visualisations of the Khalili data set. A volunteer translated the Muhammad Sadiq (photographer) article into Arabic, bringing the total of articles created by this project to 32. The total number of Wikidata statements about objects in the Khalili Collections has reached 9,603.