GLAM/Newsletter/July 2019/Contents/WMF GLAM report
OpenGLAM, Wikimania and Structured Commons
Preparing an Open GLAM Declaration
In 2019, the Wikimedia Foundation decided to support the work around publishing a new revision of the Principles or Declaration on Open Access for Culture Heritage for a fiscal year (through August 2019-July 2020). This money will fund project management and support for the OpenGLAM community in the rewrite and release of the OpenGLAM Principles/Declaration; revamping the OpenGLAM website & defining a strategy for current communication channels; and allocating some travel funds for people to promote and engage the sector around the Declaration, among other activities.
You can read more about the work being done on the Open GLAM Meta page: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Open_GLAM.
We expect that this work will provide a workable framework for Open Access for Cultural Heritage.
Please also join us at the session of GLAM Wiki Coordinators where we'll be discussing some of this work.
GLAM team at Wikimania 2019
The Wikimedia Foundation's GLAM team (Alex, Sandra and Satdeep) will attend Wikimania 2019 in Stockholm. Please come and say hi to us; we are looking forward to get to know you and/or to catch up! We will also attend, and talk or present at some of the following sessions, presentations and program elements:
- GLAMwiki Coordinators meeting
- Wikimania 2019 Hackathon - GLAM focus area
- Wikimania 2019 Learning Days
- Let's Talk about Campaigns and Contests
- Rapid Grants to Increase Awareness of Wikimedia Projects
- Designing for Organizing in the Wikimedia Movement
- Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons for GLAM-Wiki
- Tools for partnerships – developing the technology our partners need
- Public Domain Awareness Project: enhancing use of CC’s Public Domain tools to serve the needs of GLAM institutions and reusers
- Structured Data on Commons hands-on training
- Describing files on Structured Commons: problems and opportunities
- National Libraries Meeting Day
Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons
An important new set of features has been released for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can now add many kinds of statements to Commons files - not just Depicts. Check this month's SDC update for a more in depth demonstration.