From 15 May to 5 June for the first time Wikimedia Ukraine organized a separate challenge within the worldwide initiative #1Lib1Ref. We invited Ukrainian librarians and wiki community to join librarians across the world and add missing references to articles, helping make the encyclopedia more reliable and useful.
To guide participants through the rules of both the initiative and Wikipedia, we:
- held two webinars,
- shared two presentations with instructions,
- checked edits made by the participants and provided feedback,
- were ready to answer questions online.
The organizing team included five volunteers and two Wikimedia Ukraine's managers.
Librarians in Ukraine have access to a lot of rare handbooks and catalogues, which combined with Wikipedia’s tools and #1Lib1Ref’s mission can make Wikipedia stronger than ever! Librarians are one of the biggest target audiences of Ukrainian GLAM, so we are glad we used the opportunity to attract new users and help them to gain experience with our help.
As a result, some of the achievements of 1Lib1Ref 2021 in Ukraine include:
- 90 librarians participated in the webinars live, and webinars received over 250 views on YouTube later,
- 40 participants joined the initiative on Ukrainian Wikipedia; 34 of them made over 5 edits,
- 690 articles are improved as a result.
No comments yet. Yours could be the first!