GLAM/Newsletter/September 2018/Contents/Australia report
Throughout September Wikimedia Australia engaged with GLAMs, universities and researchers through the 2018 WikiTour Down Under, with special guest Andy Mabbett.
State Library Queensland
The 2018 Wikidata Tour Down Under started on Tuesday 11 September 2018 at State Library Queensland, who had invited an audience of GLAM professionals to a presentation and workshop with Andy Mabbett, on Wikidata and its relationship to the GLAMscape. Andy's presentation covered:
- What is Wikidata?
- Why does the GLAM sector need to know about this?
- Who verifies the quality of Wikidata?
- How can my organisation contribute and how will this data be used?
Slides of the presentation - Video of the presentation
State Library New South Wales
On Wednesday 12 September, State Library NSW hosted the Wikipedia Sydney Seminar in which Andy was joined by local Wikimedians who provided a snapshot of activities across Wikimedia projects.
- Geoff Barker, Senior Curator: Wikipedia at State Library NSW 2018
- Dr Heather Ford, UNSW: Wikidata in social science research
- Jessica Coates, Australian Digital Alliance & Australian Libraries Copyright Council: Wikipedia and Copyright: New Opportunities
- Dr Frances Di Lauro, University of Sydney: Wikijournal of Humanities
- Dr Toby Hudson, University of Sydney: Using Wikimedia projects for Chemistry, Education, Australia, and #FakeNews
ACMI X Melbourne
The tour moved to the ACMI X space in Melbourne for a Wikidata workshop on Friday 14 September. Local Wikimedians also presented:
- Dr Thomas Shafee, La Trobe University: WikiJournals
- Alex Lum: Australian Wikidata projects
Andy and Wikimedia Australia were pleased to present and exhibit at two professional conferences.
- Australasian Research Management Conference (ARMS) 2018 was held in Hobart from 18-21 September.
Pru Mitchell and Andy engaged with participants and met with partner organisations in the exhibition hall, and Andy presented on Wikimedia and Open Science, as well as giving a lighting talk during the plenary session.
- Australian Society of Archivists (ASA) held their 2018 conference from 25-28 September in Perth.
West Australia members Gideon Digby, Tom Hogarth and Sam Wilson supported Andy at hands-on workshops, and Andy provided a well-received closing keynote presentation entitled: Wikipedia Loves Archives: Archives Should Love Wikipedia, Too
During the event a Wikidata item representing the conference was created and populated, and Andy wrote a Wikipedia article about fellow keynote speaker Claire G. Coleman.