Click here for a more in-depth description of the role.
Regional Ambassadors are responsible for mentoring professors during the assignment design process, assisting professors with Campus Ambassador recruitment, maintaining an advisory relationship with professors and Campus Ambassadors during the term, and facilitating communication among different stakeholders (professors, Campus Ambassadors, Online Ambassadors, Wikimedia staff, etc.).
This is a leadership role with great opportunities for developing team management, community organizing, and public outreach skills. It also provides participants with significant professional-networking opportunities, especially in the education and open-source community.
- Mentor professors during the assignment design process
- Facilitate communication among professors, Campus Ambassadors and Online Ambassadors in your region
- Monitor classes' successes and challenges, and report these to the Wikimedia Foundation
Benefits of being a Regional AmbassadorEdit
After a few semesters of the Regional Ambassador program, here are some of the most common benefits:
- Customized leadership and management coaching
- Significant resume boost
- You get some Wikipedia swag!
Time commitment & term periodEdit
- Approximately 5 hours a week, with the usual peaks and troughs throughout the academic term.
- June 2012 through December 2012
- At least half a semester of experience as a Campus Ambassador or Online Ambassador is highly desirable, although not required (especially for regions with few Ambassadors.)
- Commitment to the Wikipedia Ambassador program and belief in the value of using Wikipedia as a teaching tool
- Experience working in a coordinator/facilitator role
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; comfortable speaking in front of groups
- Excellent project management skills
- Available on July 1st, 2nd, or 3rd 2012 for an online orientation (note: if you absolutely cannot attend this, we can set up an alternate meeting session on a nearby date)
Now that you understand the role, apply to become a Regional Ambassador!